TESOL is a commonly used education industry acronym that stands for “Teaching English as a Secondary or Other Language.” As online schools worldwide increasingly demand that candidates for their English-teaching positions be credentialed, becoming certified through the completion of an accredited TESOL astronomically boosts your chances of landing your web-based dream job. In fact, many digital schools explicitly list TESOL course completion or similar accreditations like a TEFL certificate as requirements for prospective employees.
When it comes to selecting the right TESOL program, students have nearly limitless choices. Although the web is full of companies hawking TESOL certification, not all TESOL programs are the same; they come in various price ranges, time commitments, accreditations, and resources to augment the curriculum. Choosing the right one is crucial to impress employers without breaking your bank account.
In this article, we'll dive into a comparison between two of the cheapest TESOL programs on the market, Magic Ears TESOL and International Open Academy (IOA) TESOL.
What Are the Features and Benefits of a Solid TESOL Program?
As we mentioned at the start of this article, you have lots of choices when you begin your TESOL program search. Knowing what to look for and what to avoid will save you time by eliminating subpar programs that won't get you to where you want to go in the same way that the more robust, teacher-oriented, internationally recognized programs can.
Unfortunately, many TESOL programs are quite expensive. For example, Premier TEFL's 120-hour program costs as much as £279, or $350 – well outside of the budgets of many hopeful teachers.
However, the two programs discussed here — Magic Ears and International Open Academy – are substantially more affordable. In fact, they are nearly twenty times less expensive than other programs like Premier TEFL while offering similar benefits!
Magic Ears 120-Hour TESOL Program
Magic Ears is an online English-teaching company that offers its own TESOL program. The company is an established leader in the utilization of technology to deliver education, often called “distance learning.”
Especially since the COVID-19 outbreak, education institutions increasingly rely on distance learning to connect teachers and students. The TESOL field is no exception; along with Magic Ears, many respected online English-teaching companies have experienced a ramped-up demand for online English teachers from around the globe.
What Features Does Magic Ears Offer in Its 120-Hour TESOL Course?
Magic Ears' 120-hour TESOL course has the following features:
- Course Contents. The course is comprised of 10 modules, with each focusing on various aspects of teaching English to non-native speakers. For example, one module in the course covers different learning styles while later modules discuss lesson preparation.
- Time commitment. The course is scheduled, as the name suggests, to take approximately 120 hours for the average student to complete. However, because the course is self-paced, many students complete the course more quickly.
- Accreditations. Accrediting agencies accredit TESOL providers that qualify based on their curriculums, so you should also check out which, if any, agencies have accredited a TESOL course that you are considering. In the case of Magic Ears' 120-hour TESOL program, the UK accrediting organization ACCREDITAT has put its stamp of approval on the program.
- Pricing. Magic Ears' 120-hour TESOL course costs $20.
- Refunds. Although Magic Ears does its best to ensure students' satisfaction with their TESOL course, things come up. Life happens. If you are enrolled in the course but need to drop it for whatever reason, you are eligible for a full refund. In addition, Magic Ears will grant a refund within 15 days of enrollment if you have completed less than 20% of the course.
Interested in Magic Ears 120hrs TESOL course?
International Open Academy TESOL
Often referred to by its acronym IOA, International Open Academy is a multi-faceted online learning center that offers courses ranging from TESOL certifications to American sign language to animal psychology. It is highly recommended by former students, having helped over 120,000 graduates improve their skill sets.
What Are the Features of the International Open Academy TESOL Program?
- Course Contents. The course, similarly to Magic Ears, consists of 10 modules running the gamut of English-teaching topics, from the basics of linguistics in the initial modules to how to land an online TESOL job in the final module.
- Time commitment. The same 120-hour time commitment as Magic Ears' program applies to IOA's TESOL program. Again, this course of self-directed, so the actual time commitment that individuals make varies depending on how fast you work.
- Accreditations. The International Council for Online Educational Standards (ICOES), a highly respected international accrediting agency, backs this program.
- Pricing. Although the listed price is €119, IOA is currently offering the program, with all the same features, for €19 – an 84% savings. At an undefined point in the future, the company may revert to the original pricing, so take advantage of the offer while you can.
- Refunds. The company offers a 14-day refund guarantee if you need to drop the course for whatever reason.
The Bottom Line on Magic Ears and IOA TESOL Programs
If you're hoping to launch your English-teaching career online, getting certified to teach English as a secondary language equips you with the accreditation you need to compete in the digital job market.
Both of the programs outlined here, Magic Ears and IOA, offer substantial benefit at relatively low cost. They have similar curriculums and confer similar benefits in terms of landing your desired job at a respected online school for English learners.