Earn an online income teaching English to ESL students from your laptop!
Working from home is the new ‘going to the office’. With Magic Ears you’ll be able to work from the comfort of your own home and still earn.
Here is an in-depth look at Magic Ears and their application process…
Magic Ears Jobs – What’s the role and is it right for me?
Magic Ears will encourage you to teach English to children between the ages of 4 and 12 throughout China, all while making use of innovative new technology.
Teaching English online is fast becoming one of the most accessible professions, and Magic Ears will provide you with the opportunity you need to break into this forward-thinking industry.
Offering one on one classes, as well as group classes of up to four students, a Magic Ears job will be perfect for the more outgoing teachers.
They emphasise how much they would like an ‘animated’ teacher, so this is a great opportunity to really engage with your creative side!
They also offer free training to all successful teachers and the ability to advance to higher levels within the company.
Magic Ears is definitely worthy of consideration for any teacher looking to break into the online education world.
Magic Ears Requirements
- Native English speakers from the US, Canada and South Africa
- A Bachelor’s degree or actively pursuing a Bachelor’s degree (student)
- 120-hour ESL Certification is required or must be willing to get one
- A stable internet connection and a good hardware.
A Bachelor’s degree or actively pursuing a Bachelor’s degree
You are required to have a degree, but if you are a student, you may also apply. This makes Magic Ears a great online job for students looking to earn during their studies.
This entry-level qualification is the first of two ‘serious’ requirements that Magic Ears will insist on. The second is:
120-hour TESOL Certification is required
This is the second serious requirement. Magic Ears asks for 120 hours of ESL certification, or be willing to get one.
If the time and experience is the one thing holding you back then the International Open Academy provides a fun and safe environment in which to achieve your certification.
This is a common requirement among all reputable ESL companies, so this is worth doing even if you should decide that Magic Ears isn’t the one for you.
A stable internet connection and a good hardware
This should go without saying, but when you’re working online you need to make sure you have the means of actually working online.
A stable internet connection is essential, and the correct hardware is a must.
Magic Ears has a very specific set of requirements needed to pass the bar. These include:
- A computer or laptop, with a HD camera (external or integrated).
- A headset with a built-in microphone – the microphone native to your laptop will not be sufficient.
- A Windows or Mac operating system – other OS may not be compatible with the necessary Magic Ears functionality.
- An I5 4th Generation (models with suffixes M, HQ and HK etc.) and above CPU, for example: i5-6400.
- At Least 4GB RAM, and a minimum 20Mbps download and 5Mbps upload.
- A wired connection (ethernet cord) is strongly recommended for internet stability, but not essential criteria – as long as your connection is stable.
Magic Ears University
Magic Ears University is home to their own 120 hour TESOL certificate as well as other helpful courses that help you adapt to life as an online ESL teacher.
If you should want something to bulk up your qualifications, or to flesh out the certifications you received from the International Open Academy or other TEFL providers, then the Magic Ears University is worth a bit of your time.
With affordable prices and engaging courses, any application to a Magic Ears job is bolstered by Magic Ears University Certification.
Magic Ears Class Bookings and Working Hours
- Magic Ears books the classes for you! You won’t have to market yourself to students’ parents like at other ESL companies!
- While you’re not guaranteed repeat students, you should be prepared to encounter familiar faces as well as new people each class.
- Classes are expected to run any time between 5pm and 9pm (BJT) from Monday to Friday.
- On the weekends you should expect to be kept busy between 9am and 11:30am (BJT), and then again from 5pm to 9pm (BJT).
- There is also no minimum hours commitment, so you’re afforded a lot of flexibility and freedom.
‘Do I get the same recurring students or different students each time with Magic Ears?'
This is something we touched upon above, but as it’s something of a frequently asked question it bears going over in greater depth.
Each class is likely to be a different one. The chances of you seeing the same group or individual over and over again is pretty low.
You should be prepared to encounter totally new faces every time you start working with Magic Ears.
Of course, it doesn’t mean it’s impossible for you to see some familiar faces, but prepare yourself for the fact that the chances are slim. There’s just too much demand.
Magic Ears Interview Process
1. Interview Demo (recorded or live)
At this stage, you can select between a recorded or a live interview demo. Both are evaluated using the same criteria, so it all depends on your preference! In the recorded demo, you will share a brief introduction and teach a short lesson on the letters “M & N” and keywords “Moon & Nurse.” This can be recorded on your computer, phone, or tablet. In the live demo, you’ll have a brief introduction with the interviewer and then they will act as your “student” for the lesson.
2. Training Video
When you’ve passed the Interview Demo stage, you will receive an email with training videos and an invitation to schedule your Trial Demo. Be sure to watch the video to prepare before scheduling.
3. Trial Demo
You will teach a 10-minute demo lesson to a trainer acting as your “student.” When your trainer stops the “lesson,” they will provide you with some feedback on your performance. ME will determine whether you move onto the next step or if you need a second Trial Demo.
It will be based on this lesson:
4. Background Check & Contract Offer
After passing the Trial Demo stage, you must complete a criminal background check before your contract can become official.
Magic Ears Interview Tips
Magic Ears is fond of animated teachers. They’re looking for energy, friendliness and a smile.
Magic Ears advises you prepare at least two props for your demo class, but preferably you should come prepared with a few more.
Make sure the lighting in your room is decent. You want to make sure your class can see you, so make your surroundings nice and bright.
Avoid incidental language, otherwise known as hesitations. The less you ‘umm’ and ‘err’ though the interview the better your chances will be…
Make sure you know how to mute one particular student while allowing another to talk. Only one person at a time should be capable of being heard.
How Much Does Magic Ears Pay?
Magic Ears Base Pay
Magic Ears teachers earn up to $10 base pay per class ($20/hr) on their first contract.
In order to qualify for a higher rate, you must:
- Taught 3,000 online classes with other online English teaching companies*
- Taught 5,000 online classes with other online English teaching companies* AND hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in English Language Teaching, Early Childhood Education, or Special Education.
*Students must be Chinese; experience from multiple companies can be combined, but previous Magic Ears experience does not qualify.
Bonuses (extra $1 per class taught)
- Peak Time: earned by opening 60+ peak time slots per month
- Participation: earned by arriving in your first class 3-10 minutes early
With both bonuses, Magic Ears teachers can earn up to $12 per class ($24/hr) on their first contract. Magic Ears also offers opportunities for raises upon contract renewal.
What’s the Magic Ears payment period and method?
Magic Ears pays their teachers every month on the 10th. Don’t expect weekly pay slips in the post; but each month you can count on your earnings finding their way into your account.
Magic Ears will pay you via PayPal, so make sure your account is set up to receive payments or you’ll be missing out.
Teachers can control their own cancellations through the “Cancellation” button in the Teacher Portal. Magic Ears provides teachers with four (4) free cancellations each month. Once they have used all four cancellations, our teachers can exchange the Peak Carrots earned by opening slots to close/cancel the slot.
Teachers also receive two no-show penalty removals per contract period.
Pros of Magic Ears
- No minimal weekly teaching hour commitment.
- Have bookings right after signing up the agreement.
- Outstanding and interactive English teaching/learning platform with built-in games, video, and songs.
Apply above to get the DigiNo stamp of approval!