Table of Contents
International Open Academy TESOL Certificate Overview
International Open Academy's TESOL Certification course is fully accredited, internationally recognized, and will give you the start you need to be successful as an online teacher. It is also one of the most affordable TESOL certifications online, which is why it is included in the list of recommended resources for online teaching jobs.
DigiNo.org is affiliated with International Open Academy, and can offer a discounted price:
DigiNo earns an affiliate commission should you decide to purchase the course through our links. This commission comes at no extra cost to you and is a great way to support the site.
An TESOL Certificate (or similar teaching certificate, such as TEFL) is a mandatory requirement to become a teacher for online teaching platform Lingostar, as well as classroom teaching jobs abroad. However, other teach from home jobs that do not require a teaching certificate, includes:
What is TESOL?
TESOL is an acronym for Teaching English To Speakers of Other Languages.
Do I Need a TESOL for Teaching English Online?
After the booming popularity of online ESL teaching, the Chinese Ministry of Education announced in late 2018 they would be introducing tighter requirements for teachers who teach Chinese k12 and middle-school students.
Late 2019 the transition of all major online English teaching companies requiring their teachers to have 120-hour teaching certificates. A list of these companies include:
(It should be noted, that many of the Chinese based online teaching platforms ceased hiring and/or operations in 2021 due to educational regulation changes in China. Here you can find a list of online teaching jobs that are still hiring).
Some companies such as VIPKid offered their own TESOL, however, this TESOL may not be universally recognized by other online teaching companies outside of VIPKid. Many online teachers teach for multiple platforms so a universal TESOL such as the International Open Academy one would be more beneficial to have.
TESL vs TEFL vs TESOL vs CELTA – What's the Difference?
TESL – Teaching English as a Second Language
Teaching English to non-native speakers who reside in a native English speaking country.
TEFL – Teaching English as a Foreign Language
Teaching English to non-native speakers residing in a country where English is not spoken as an official language. An example of this is China.
TESOL – Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Teaching English to non-native English speakers either abroad or within your home country. TESOL is an umbrella term for both TESL and TEFL and therefore certification courses generally have a greater depth of learning material.
CELTA – Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults
Teaching English to non-native speakers as adult learners.
Does the TESOL Certification Take 120 HOURS to Complete?
This is dependant on your experience with teaching, the English language or education in general. Those who are more experienced may complete it in much less time.
Why to Choose International Open Academy for your TESOL Certification Online?
- The course is CPD certified. Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is the term used to describe the learning professionals engage in order to develop and enhance their abilities within their working life.
- Internationally Accredited by ICOES. International Council for Online Educational Standards.
- Accredited by TQUK. Training Qualifications United Kingdom.
- Instant PDF certification download upon passing the course. This allows you to immediately upload it to an online teaching company's application form.
- 24/7 access to the course material. You can do the entire course on your own time and at your own pace.
- The course has an actual human instructor for communication during the course.
- Around 60,000 students have taken the course. One of the most recommended courses by online teachers.
- The most affordable price for TESOL certification found by DigiNo researchers.
- It also has a 14-day money-back guarantee.
120 Hour TESOL Certification Modules:
Module 1: Teaching And Learning
Module 2: Linguistics
Module 3: Reading
Module 4: Writing
Module 5: Speaking
Module 6: Listening
Module 7: Pedagogy
Module 8: Lesson Planning
Module 9: Classroom Management
Module 10: Getting A TESOL Job
International Open Academy TESOL vs More Expensive Options
When it comes to selecting the right TESOL program, students have nearly limitless choices. Although the web is full of companies hawking TESOL certification, not all TESOL programs are the same; they come in various price ranges, time commitments, accreditations, and resources to augment the curriculum. Choosing the right one is crucial to impress employers without breaking your bank account.
What Are the Features and Benefits of a Solid TESOL Program?
As we mentioned at the start of this article, you have lots of choices when you begin your TESOL program search. Knowing what to look for and what to avoid will save you time by eliminating subpar programs that won’t get you to where you want to go in the same way that the more robust, teacher-oriented, internationally recognized programs can.
Unfortunately, many TESOL programs are quite expensive. For example, some programs cost as much as $350 or even $1000+ – well outside of the budgets of many hopeful teachers.
However, the programs discussed here — International Open Academy – is substantially more affordable. In fact, it is nearly twenty times less expensive than other programs while offering similar benefits!
International Open Academy TESOL
Often referred to by its acronym IOA, International Open Academy is a multi-faceted online learning center that offers courses ranging from TESOL certifications to American sign language to animal psychology. It is highly recommended by former students, having helped over 120,000 graduates improve their skill sets.
What Are the Features of the International Open Academy TESOL Program?
- Course Contents. The course consists of 10 modules running the gamut of English-teaching topics, from the basics of linguistics in the initial modules to how to land an online TESOL job in the final module.
- Time commitment. The same 120-hour time commitment as more expensive programs applies to IOA’s TESOL program. Again, this course of self-directed, so the actual time commitment that individuals make varies depending on how fast you work.
- Accreditations. The International Council for Online Educational Standards (ICOES), a highly respected international accrediting agency, backs this program.
- Pricing. Although the listed price is around €119, IOA is currently offering the program, with all the same features, for around €19 – an 84% savings. At an undefined point in the future, the company may revert to the original pricing, so take advantage of the offer while you can.
- Refunds. The company offers a 14-day refund guarantee if you need to drop the course for whatever reason.
The Bottom Line on TESOL Certification
If you’re hoping to launch your English-teaching career online, getting certified to teach English as a secondary language equips you with the accreditation you need to compete in the digital job market.
The program outlined here in this article, International Open Academy, offers substantial benefit at relatively low cost. They have similar curriculums and confer similar benefits to more expensive alternatives in terms of landing your desired job at a respected online school for English learners.